Seminars: Frequently Asked Questions
Please check the list below for answers to your questions. If you can't find the answers here, call (760) 647-6595 and ask for Elin, Nora, or Andrew, or email the Field Seminar team.
We have made the difficult decision to cancel all 2020 Mono Basin Field Seminars due to COVID-19. After much discussion amongst our staff and with seminar instructors, we have concluded that attempting to offer this year's seminars with proper social distancing protocols is too risky and would also degrade the seminar experience.
If you have questions, please contact the Field Seminar team. For more about the Mono Lake Committee's operations during COVID-19, please see this page.
- When does registration open?
- Registration opens at 9:00am every February 1st for members only, and every March 1st for non-members. If you are not a Committee member, but you wish to register in February, you may join the Committee and sign up for the class of your choice. Registration for winter seminars opens November 1st for members and November 15th for non-members.
- How do I register for a Field Seminar?
- To register for a field seminar, you can either call (760) 647-6595 or sign up online. To sign up online, click the "register" button or the "sign up" link near the seminar(s) of your choice. If you do not see that button or link, registration has not yet opened. We do not accept mail-in registrations or registration by email.
- How do I pay for a Field Seminar?
- You need a Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express credit card to pay for your seminar, whether you are signing up online or over the phone. We do not accept personal checks.
- What is the cancellation policy?
- If you cancel three weeks prior to the seminar start date, we will refund your payment (less a $15 processing fee per person per seminar). No refunds can be issued for any reason if cancellation is within three weeks of field seminar date, but tuition can be applied to another seminar within one calendar year of your cancellation date. If you cancel within one week of the seminar start date, no credits can be issued for any reason.
- Are accommodations included?
- Accommodations are not included in your registration fee. We reccommend that you make reservations at one of Lee Vining's motels or campgrounds as soon as you have registered for your seminar.
- Can I attend only a portion of a Field Seminar?
- You may, as long as you attend the very first meeting of the seminar. For example, if your seminar begins on Friday evening at 6:00pm, you must attend that portion. There are no discounts for attending only a portion of any field seminar.
- Can I bring my children?
- Children ages 12 and older are welcome to participate in field seminars, as long as a parent or guardian is also registered in the same seminar. Children under the age of 12 are not allowed in Mono Lake Committee field seminars.
- Can I bring my pet?
- No pets are allowed on any Mono Lake Field Seminars. Please find boarding accommodations for your pets or leave them at home; do not leave pets in your car during seminars.
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and California law, service animals assisting people with disabilities are allowed on Mono Lake Field Seminars and must be leashed. A service animal is defined as a dog that performs some of the functions and tasks that the individual with a disability cannot perform, such as guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, alerting and protecting people prone to seizures, carrying a pack for people with mobility impairments, assisting people with balance, or other tasks directly related to a disability. Emotional support animals, comfort animals, therapy animals, or other pets are not allowed on any portion of a Mono Lake Field Seminar.
If you are allergic to or fearful of dogs, be aware that there may be a dog on your seminar if a person with a disability who has a service animal is also attending that seminar.
- Can I carpool with someone else during the seminar?
- Yes. We encourage carpooling, and will make sure that everyone has a ride during the seminar.
- Do I need four-wheel drive for the seminars?
- No, generally not. If you don't have four-wheel drive, don't despair. You can most likely carpool with someone who does.
- Does weather affect the seminars?
- The Mono Basin's dramatic weather is part of what you come here to experience. There are no refunds for weather-related reasons, so please check road conditions before you leave home, and bring plenty of layers, rain gear, and warm clothes for your seminar.
- Will I need to sign a waiver?
- Yes, every participant must complete and sign a waiver.
- How do I submit an evaluation for a seminar I just attended?
- Email the Field Seminar team, and we will send you the evaluation link for the seminar you just took. Thank you for your feedback!
Questions? Call (760) 647-6595 and ask for Elin, Nora, or Andrew. You can also email us if that's easier.
All seminars operate under permits from the Inyo National Forest and California State Park system.